My OneSwarm DL Speeds have taken a nosedive over the past week or so, and I'm stuck with 16 DLs ranging from 2% to 83% downloaded, with several over 50%. I don't have a great understanding of how this P2P stuff works, so I don't know which variables I can play with to try to increase my speed. Some questions that come to mind:
1. Does the number of files I am trying to download make a difference? As I said, I currently have 16 torrents that I'm attempting to download. A few of them have several files within them, ranging from movies to .zip files. Most of them have downloaded very little, if at all, over the past few days, although one of the larger files has been downloading fairly steadily, though the speed ranges from 1 Kbps to 70 Kbps.
2. Is there an optimum number of friends? My assumption has been that the more friends I have, the better. Currently I have around 70 online friends, but none of my files have an Seed-Channels except the one mentioned above. A few days ago, however, some of my files had over 10 Seed-Channels, even with fewer Online Friends. What gives?
3. How do my Upload/Download Limits affect my speeds? Currently I have my DL limit set at zero (unlimited) and my UL limit set at 20 Kbps. My assumption is that limiting my UL limit should mean I have more bandwidth to complete my DLs, whereas limiting my DL speed would not be beneficial for purposes of downloading. Is that correct?
4. Does my Share Ratio have any effect on my DL speeds? Currently my Share Ratio is "Bad" according to the Classic UI (0.33). Does this just mean that I have DLed three times the number of files that I've ULed? Does it affect my DL speed?
5. Does my Port choice make a difference? Currently mine is 33602. Could changing it make a difference?
6. Any other ideas? Could it just be that my internet connection speed is bad right now? Is it possible that I downloaded a virus (as this recent slow bout has come after a couple weeks of fast and frequent downloading)? I have tried restarting OS, restarting my computer, and resetting my modem several times over the past few days. Anything else I can restart or clear to improve my performance?
Thanks for any insight!